Monday, December 10, 2012

Easton Mayor Won't Seek County Exec Seat

Easton Mayor Sal Panto, Jr. announced today that he is not a candidate for the position of County Executive of Northampton County.

"While I appreciate the encouragement and support I have received over the last few months, I never considered political office for any other reason other than to assist in the revitalization of the city of Easton," Panto said via a press release.

Panto added community service, historic preservation and a desire to make Easton a better place was the only reason he diverted from his original career goal of becoming a superintendent of a public school district.

"Because of my love of education, a Superintendent’s position would be the only position that could entice me to leave my position in the city," he said.

Panto holds a Master's Degree in educational administration from Lehigh University and was first elected mayor in 1983, when he served two terms. He was elected again in 2007 and is currently in his fifth year of his second tenure as mayor for the city.

"I do appreciate the support I received from individuals, former office holders and labor unions and their confidence that I have the skill set to bring about the changes needed to move our county forward," Panto said.

“Our city is on a path of growth and continuous improvement. To divert my attention away from the city at this time would be a disservice to the people who placed their confidence in me during the last election."

Update, Tuesday, December 11: Panto said during an unrelated press conference Tuesday afternoon that he has no intention of seeking the position of Easton Area School District superintendent when Susan McGinley's contract expires next year.

"I loved my time teaching in Easton. I'd really enjoy the job and that was my original career trajectory, but I don't think I'm what (the school board is) looking for," Panto said. "I do believe that anyone running a $150 million budget needs more than just a teaching background though."



No comments:

Post a Comment